Joy given is returned merely by the act of giving.
When given truly from a place of love, the heart overflows with joy.
And the delighted recipient unknowingly sends love back and this is a beautiful thing. This Christmas, a gift we gave to a special family was a gift given back; tenfold in the feel good category.
Giving is contagious. Try it–if for no other reason, but to experience the high of giving.
Here are five ways you can make a difference today:
- Leave a generous tip today. It matters.
- Compliment a friend. Be genuine!
- Drive courteously. Let the eager driver have the front row parking space.
- Send a hand-written note to a friend you haven’t seen in awhile.
- Leave a happy quote on a post-it note for someone in a public restroom or a bookstore.
Whether it’s springing for the cappuccino for the guy behind you at the coffee shop or a smile flashed at the stressed mom in line at the market, it’s fun to extend the happiness of giving.
“My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness.” Maya Angelou
Check out this cool infographic for a rundown on the science behind giving.